Regular visitors to this site will be aware that our champion smiling Norwegian Elkhound, Bob is now approaching 14 years. As the old man of the house, he had slowed down in the last four months but since Storm Emma and the snow, it became obvious he was not doing well.
A visit to the vet provided some helpful advice and the introduction of pills to his, and our life. Until now he was on omega’s, which he accepted like smarties.
“He won’t like these tablets (cardisure) but you cannot give them to him with food” we were told.
Arriving back home, I sat beside him. With a tablet in hand, I said, “Bob, it would make life easier for you if you could simply eat this.”
A single slow wag of his tail and in a single gulp the offending tablet was gone. So it continues, he is now on four tablets (as one of the original ones, didn’t agree with him) and eating them like smarties.
The point of this post is Bob still makes us smile by his simple trust in all we ask of him another reason for having a four-legged friend in your house, wouldn’t you agree?
Some of this list will not be a surprise to many people.
Bob’s top 5 favourite things
- A soft cushion to lie on – important for aging creaking bones – even if I sometimes roll off it.
- A bone to crunch on – the crunching reminds our two legged friends that we are still here.
- Sunshine and kids, – Sunshine provides much needed heat and the kids provide much needed treats. (M has me on a diet again.)
- Dinner – I dream in food in particular, strawberries.
- A hug – who doesn’t like a hug?
Ellie’s top 5 favourite things,
1 . She doesn’t care what size or colour but specifies there should be plenty of tennis balls
2 Play time –
3. Working, particularly in wooded areas
4. Boat trips, they come in handy for collecting lost in the river tennis balls.
Lately we have noticed that in the hotter days of Summer (yes, we do get a few here in Ireland), both dogs appear to disappear.
So I investigated. His loud snoring does have one advantage. He is easy to find.
When i did I discovered a really neat house.
The weeping willow has grown and its drooping curtain of branches forms a perfect hideaway for both dogs. Though, I did get the impression someone was not happy that I discovered their secret.